Roger P. Smith
AIA, LEED AP, Founding Principal
With over four decades of diverse professional experience, Roger is an accomplished professional and academic figure with demonstrated excellence in the fields of architecture, engineering and construction management. A founding principal of BBS, Roger is a recipient of the AIA Lifetime Achievement Award and Architect-of-Record for over $3.0 billion in construction projects across the Tri-State area. He is a past member of the local AIA Chapter’s Board of Directors, and the current Chairman of the New York State Building Code Board of Review for Southeast Region.
Having joined the firm – which was previously known as a surveying and engineering practice – in 1985, Roger initiated its gradual shift and evolution towards architecture. More than 30 years later, Roger’s most fulfilling accomplishment remains the firm’s quality-oriented culture that he instigated and has been able to maintain throughout his long, distinguished career.
By sharing this high level of commitment to quality along with his personal dedication to client relationships, Roger has been able to establish BBS as one of the top multi-disciplinary practices in America. With virtually all architectural and engineering services available in-house, the firm today stands atop of the educational facility market, but its success comes from the unhindered ability of its staff to plan, design, and develop a project in any type of setting.
Presently, Roger works closely with the firm’s designers, clients, and communities to create a public design environment that enhances the learning process, social experience and well-being of the community and people who experience the buildings that BBS designs. He is responsible for design overview and guidance on all major projects to achieve the goals established by clients, within the parameters of budget, schedule and policy. Since 2005, he has been teaching at his Alma Mater – New York Institute of Technology, School of Architecture & Design – with previous academic experience at SUNY Farmingdale.
- Bachelor of Architecture (Magna Cum Laude), New York Institute of Technology, New York
- Architecture - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, Rhode Island, Massachusetts
- American Institute of Architects (AIA), Board of Directors, “Lifetime Achievement Award”
- The New York State Building Code Board of Review (Southeast Region), Chairman
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- United States Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI)
- Friends of NYIT School of Architecture and Interior Design, Founding Member
- Clients expect special expertise from architects, engineers and builders
- BBS: The Journey to Better Construction Documents
- Architecture That Bridges Generations
- BBS appoints first new partners in 30 years
- Long Island architecture firm BBS opens Albany office
- What emerging trends will drive investment and development in 2016?